Rechie Valdez makes history
as first Filipina-Canadian cabinet minister
Mississauga-Streetsville MP Rechie Valdez made history yet again as she was sworn-in as the first Filipina-Canadian cabinet minister in Ottawa on Wednesday, July 26.
She was among seven rookie parliamentarians appointed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and will hold the Small Business portfolio.
Valdez first made history when she was elected to the federal seat in September 2021 to become the first ever Filipina-Canadian to hold that post.
Inside Rideau Hall in Ottawa, a visibly emotional Valdez recited her oath with passionate conviction.
Valdez, 43, is married to Christopher Valdez and has two children. She is an entrepreneur and considered to be a champion for local businesses.
More Articles ...
- Experience Folklorama 52
- DOT continues “Love the Philippines” promotions
- World Police and Fire Games
- MB Filipino Street Festival thrills community
- Happy Canada Day! 2023
- Immigration Minister Sean Fraser in Winnipeg
- Filipino Heritage Month in full swing in Manitoba
- No visa required
- Adrian Reyes aims for Miss International Queen crown
- Celebrating Pinay Trailblazers