Published on

Adrian 

Do you know your active opportunity?

Many people identify time as the biggest barrier to physical activity. With work, school, and/or families, there just is not enough time to sleep, let alone to be active. But keep in mind; you do not have to endure a 90-minute hot yoga class to be active. As Manitobans begin to venture outside after a long hibernation, physiotherapists want to ensure that people recognize that any time is a good time to get moving. May is National Physiotherapy Month and to celebrate, physiotherapists in Manitoba want you to take advantage of every active opportunity.

To find out what your active opportunities are, take the time to ask yourself, “what activities do I do throughout the day that keep me healthy?” or “How do I use my spare time to stay active?”

Consider the following scenarios:

Working at a desk all day? Try doing 8-15 repetitions of chair push-ups by using your arms to push up from a chair to strengthen your arms.

Can’t find a parking spot near the front of the grocery store? Park at the first spot you see to improve your cardiovascular endurance during your walk.

Now you are waiting in line at the store. Take the time to gently stretch your neck, shoulders, or wrists for 15-30 seconds. Don’t worry if people are looking at you funny; you are improving your flexibility.

Finally, after a long day, you sit down on the couch to watch GMA. After an episode of Eat Bulaga, challenge your balance by standing on one foot, or do a few jumping jacks; then you can sit back down and enjoy SOP.

These are just a few of many ideas that you can use as an active opportunity. Other simple opportunities include:

Tell us about your active opportunities!

Send a quick message to
feedback@pilipino-express.com
and I may include your tips
in my next article.

Just remember to do a few chair
push-ups after you send the e-mail!

walking or jogging around the block during your breaks

getting off the bus a stop or two early and walk the rest of the way

taking the stairs instead of the elevator

playing outside with your kids or pets

Add up your activity for the day and aim for a minimum of 60 minutes of movement every day. It may seem like a lot, but it is a great goal to try to achieve. I encourage everyone to take the time to share their active opportunities so that we can recognize your efforts towards healthy living and to inspire others to get active.

To learn more about physiotherapy, please visit www.mbphysio.org or www.physiotherapy.ca

Adrian Salonga is a graduate of the University of Manitoba with a Bachelor’s degree of Medical Rehabilitation in Physical Therapy.

Have a comment on this article? Send us your feedback